Thursday, November 22, 2018

Reverting to type

So this last weekend I played in a one-shot game of Scum and Villainy, and it made we aware of something about myself and the other players in the group. We each had a 'type' of character we tend to play, and I especially will revert to that type if I am just learning a system or settings. Characters of my 'type' are stoic, humble protectors of others. In D&D I'm usually the Paladin. The characters I play are an exaggeration of whom I strive to be.

Roleplaying is a medium that encourages, even demands sometimes, pushing boundaries and being someone other than 'yourself'. And what I observed is that people tend to play what they want to be, what they can't always be in real life. Some players are loud and sarcastic and absurdist, because they can't be that way around most people. Some are impulsive, independent and not very collaborative with their fellow players. Because they can't in real life? (yes, I'm making an assumption here, but its one based on observations)

I'm beginning to feel typecast. I am wondering how do I break out of the comfort zone mold I've made for myself of a hobby that means so much to me?

I've picked up a copy of Improv for Gamers, also from Evil Hat. We'll have to see if it has anything I can put to use. LARPing is a fascinating game form in my mind; one I am not at all certain I could do properly.

More thoughts on this to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment